Women’s track and field preview

Event: Husky Classic

Where: Dempsey IndoorSeattle, Wash.

When: Saturday at 8 a.m.

Who to watch: After capping her Aggies cross country career at the National Championships this fall, senior co-captain Kim Conley took a well-deserved break from competition.

But come Saturday afternoon, the break is over.

I’m just excited to see where I’m at,Conley said,especially after hearing about Lorin (Scott) and Kaitlin (Gregg) and Petey (Jonathan Peterson) and Jenna (Gaily) two weeks ago. Everyone is ahead of where we expected, so it’s exciting.

Conley will make her season debut in the 3,000min which she holds the school recordand will be gunning for a national qualifier.

The goal is to qualify for nats,Conley said.Hopefully I’ll get it done this meet. We left it to only one meet, but we’re hoping I can get it done.

Did you know? While there are four throwing events outdoors, indoors there are only the shot put and the weight throw. Since the weight throw is only contested indoors and the Aggies have a very limited indoor season, there aren’t many chances to practice the event.

In last week’s first of two chances at the event, junior Chid Onyewuenyi inched closer to the school-record, hitting 17.11m to solidify her second place on the all-time list with sophomore Ashley Hearn moving to third with a 16.83m.

Preview: Now that the Aggies have had a chance to get back in the competitive atmosphere, they are heading back to Seattle seeking bigger and better things.

“Our quarter-mile crew led by Ugo (Eke) and Kiara (Reed) will obviously get out there,coach Deanne Vochatzer said.Last week we made some mistakes tactically, because indoors is very different. Hopefully this week they can go out there and not make the same mistakes.

In addition to the veterans, a couple folks will be making their Aggie debut on Saturday.

We got a frosh heptathlete, Johanne Boulat,Vochatzer said.She’s the real deal. She’s going to do the long jump, triple jump and hurdles. She’s a good little triple jumper. Then her fellow heptathlete, [junior college] transfer Anikia Jackson, is going to go up and hurdle and long jump. That’ll be fun.

-Alex Wolf-Root