Best Chain Coffee

Starbucks

Peet’s

ASUCD Coffee House

To the despair of Peetniks everywhere, Starbucks edged out the California-based coffee chain Peet’s this year to earn the award for best Davis chain coffee.

Starbucks has five total locations in Davis: On F Street downtown, in both Safeways, the University Mall and between the Highway 113 and Sutter Hospital off Covell Drive in North Davis. A sixth location is on the way in the UC Davis Activities and Recreation Center, making Starbucks the most prolific coffeehouse in Davis.

“I’ve been to Peet’s, but it’s not the same,” said Edie Campbell-Urban, a junior communication major. “I grew up coming to Starbucks.”

Starbucks, named after the first mate of Herman Melville’s Moby Dick, was founded in Seattle in 1971, and is now the world’s largest coffeehouse company.

There are over 11,000 Starbucks in operation across all 50 states, and in 43 other countries for a grand total of 15,756 worldwide, according to the company’s February 2008 fact sheet.

Campbell-Urban typically goes to Starbucks at least once a week, but may come as many as four times during midterms and finals.

“I like the white chocolate mocha,” she said. “I [go there] to study, or sometimes just to grab a cup to go.”

Peet’s, the former winner of the 2008 award for best coffee in Davis, was selected as runner up with UC Davis’ own ASUCD Coffee House coming in third.

– CHARLES HINRIKSSON