Best Davis Event

Picnic Day

Whole Earth Festival

Operation: Restore Maximum Freedom

After almost a century of Picnic Days, past and present Aggies alike keep coming back for more.

Over the years, Picnic Day has provided parades, magic shows, Aggie expositions and, more recently, Doxy Derbies.

Picnic Day, occurring on April 18 this year, allows both students and alumni to show off their campus to families and friends. Picnickers can eat deep-fried Twinkies while watching the Battle of the University Bands down by the arboretum, or they can get their face painted after making tie-dyed shirts.

As UC Davis is celebrating its centennial this year, the theme for Picnic Day isReflections: 100 Years of Aggie Legacy.In order to represent the UC Davis student body, all of the Parade Marshals of this year’s parade will be Aggie students, both alumni and current.

“As the UC Davispremier event, Picnic Day is a prominent reflection of the university’s founding, history, growth, achievements and future. Picnic Day 2009 will represent a 100-year legacy of excellence in teaching, research, service and campus life,said Christine Pham, 2009 Picnic Day chair.

Pham said Picnic Day is UC Davis oldest tradition and is the largest student-run event in the nation. Picnic Day is a testament as towhat it means to be an Aggie. Every Aggie will always have a place in their heart for Picnic Day,Pham said.

Coming in second is the Whole Earth Festival, a three day-long spring event that brings art, music and environmental education to the forefront. Whole Earth is always on Mother’s Day weekend, taking place May 8, 9 and 10 this year.

Third-place winner is KDVS-presented music festival Operation: Restore Maximum Freedom, (O: RMF) a student-run event that showcases local underground artists. The next event, O: RMF VII will be May 16.

Megan Ellis