Best Ice Cream and Frozen Yogurt

1. Ben and Jerry’s

500 First St.

2. Yolo Berry Yogurt

316 C St.

3. Cold Stone Creamery

1411 W. Covell Blvd.

From the rich and caffeine packed Coffee Coffee, Buzz Buzz Buzz to the sweet and wistful Imagine Whirled Peace, this year’s Best Ice Cream goes to the craving-worthy flavors at Ben and Jerry’s – a perennial Davis favorite.

“People love Ben and Jerry’s because not only do we have great tasting ice cream, but we also do great things for the community,” said Amanda Crawley, manager of Downtown Davis’ scoop shop. “We’re all about community service, and giving back to the people who give us their business.”

With the always-popular “free cone day” and money-saving coupons offered year-round, many swear by Ben and Jerry’s as an inexpensive “cure-all” for midterms, relationship woes, PMS and all of life’s biggest stressors.

“It’s definitely just the quality of our all-natural ice cream that people are attracted to,” Crawley said. “It’s delicious!”

In second place, the newly opened “Yolo Berry Yogurt” has already earned an impressive following. Offering six rotating flavors of frozen yogurt and a whopping 101 available toppings, customers can mix fruits, nuts, candies, caramel, whipped cream … and nearly anything edible as a topping to customize their personal yogurt masterpiece.

In third, Davis’ Cold Stone Creamery is a great hybrid of both contenders, as customers pick an ice cream flavor, choose their own toppings and watch anxiously as their ice cream creation is whipped up before their eyes.

– MICHELLE IMMEL