Best Meal on a Budget

1. ASUCD Coffee House

347 Memorial Union

2. Hunan

508 Second St. #104

3. In-N-Out Burger

1020 Olive Dr.

In a town with many student-oriented grubbing options, the ASUCD Coffee House towers above other on-the-go eateries both in quantity of selection and convenience.

Serving over 7,000 famished patrons daily, the Coho’s wide array of budget options include soups, salads, cold-cuts and baked goods, many of which are made fresh in house.

Although founded as a small eatery in East Hall by ASUCD in 1968, the Coho now boasts a $4,000,000 budget, over 200 student employees and a 40-year reputation for inexpensive and healthy food options.

The Coho is also a sustainable program, buying local and organic food items from Davis businesses and growers such as the Village Bakery, the UC Davis Student Farm, Variety Donuts and Pachamama Coffee Cooperative.

Senior design and art history double major Jennifer Lee, who frequents the Coho at least three times per week, said she finds the prices fair.

“They aren’t cheap, but they aren’t expensive either,she said.

Generally sticking to the sandwiches, bagels or one of the tofu dishes, Lee typically spends about $15 per week at the Coho as a quick and easy food-source.

Second place finisher Hunan offers a variety of lunch specials with tofu, vegetables, chicken, beef, pork or shrimp; each comes with soup or salad, crab wonton, chow mein and fried or steamed rice and costs between $4.75 and $6.25.

Manager Sau Lee said Hunan serves about 150 customers each afternoon for lunch, many of which are regulars.

Coming in at third is In-N-Out, the ever-popular burger joint that provides students with cheap, tasty meals on-the-go.

Aaron Bruner