Getting inked for a good cause

Wild Bill’s Tattoo-A-Thon

Saturday, 8 a.m. to midnight

205 Vernon Street in Roseville

It’s not usually the case for a tattoo parlor to be involved in community philanthropy, but for over seven years Wild Bill’s Tattoo has been donating thousands of dollars to the UC Davis Children’s Hospital.

Wild Bill’s Tattoo will be hosting its eighth annual Tattoo-A-Thon this Saturday from 8 a.m. to midnight. The shop is located at 205 Vernon Street in Roseville.

Eighteen volunteers will be working for 16 hours that day, and all proceeds will go to the UC Davis Children’s Hospital in Sacramento.

The tattoo parlor first became involved with charity work when Kim Forrest, one of Wild Bill’s Tattoo employees, started the annual fundraiser eight years ago, said Bill Hill, a tattoo artist and owner of Wild Bill’s Tattoo.

Last year, the staff at Wild Bill’s worked16 hours nonstop, piercing and tattooing more than 100 clients, and raised a total of $15,150, including clothing and accessory sales,Hill said in an e-mail.

The event attracts people from all over in support of the charity.

“[We get] lots of people with kids, kids that have been sick, kids at the hospital right now, Hill said. “The event in many ways is a good way for young patients to get their minds off their health.

Krystal Betancourt, a tattoo artist at Wild Bill’s, finds that the most rewarding part of the event is working together for a good cause.

“We donate all of our time and energy to this whole day,she said.Any monetary compensation could not be better than that for us. The fact that it’s a community supporting the children’s hospital and that I have two kids myself, any kind of help especially to a hospital is the biggest contribution … that we can make as individuals.

Because the annual event draws in such a diverse group of people, many bring their family members, friends and even children.

Kim Merseph, a mother of three, heard about the Tattoo-A-Thon through a friend and is planning to make the trip with her family and friends this Saturday.

Merseph’s oldest son has had three heart surgeries at the UC Davis Childrens Hospital.

“I think it’s important [to get involved] in this day and age with the economy the way it is,she said. “We have to pull together and help out when we can. I think it’s awesome that the staff at Wild Bill’s Tattoo is donating its services.

Wild Bill’s Tattoo, now in its 35th year of operation, has raised a total of $76,000 for the Children’s Hospital over the last seven years.

“We are so fortunate to have a world class medical facility like UC Davis Children’s Hospital here in Sacramento,Hill said.The hospital and its renowned medical staff have profound impact in our community. The hospital informed us that they are naming part of the new unit at the hospital after our tattoo shop. I couldnt believe it. We are truly honored.

For information about Wild Bills Tattoo-A-Thon, visit wild-bills.com.

SIMONE WAHNG can be reached at arts@theaggie.org.