Wednesday, May 8, 2024

Live on campus

Three on-campus performances will be held at the ASUCD Coffee House and the ARC Pavilion next week. Two of the shows will be co-hosted by both the ASUCD Entertainment Council and KDVS 90.3 FM, and the EC will also co-host Skull Candy, a collaborative show featuring Gym Class Heroes and several other artists.

This is not the first time EC and KDVS have collaborated – last October’s presentation of the Cave Singers at the Coho was put on by both the EC and KDVS DJ Michael Leahy.

EC director Thongxy Phansopha, a junior Spanish major, said the increased number of shows is simply more beneficial to the student body.

“We’re very happy to be working with the EC on this,” KDVS events coordinator Darach Miller said in an e-mail. “They’re great folks and I love where they’re going with the future of campus events. We wanted to bring thee best rocking night to the students, so that meant bringing it to the Coho. Thee is not a typo.”

Sharmi Basu, a junior political science major and co-publicity director at KDVS, said the station’s goal is to have a legitimate and constant on-campus venue in the future. She said the success of these events will also determine the likelihood of any future KDVS shows at the Coho.

“With the demolishing of the [Old Firehouse] and other complications, it’s been hard to get exposure for some more experimental acts on campus,” Basu said in an e-mail interview.

MUSE outlines the list of shows to be held on campus next week.

Tyvek, Th’ Losin’ Streaks, GGreen

Wednesday, 8 p.m., $5

ASUCD Coffee House

On Wednesday, KDVS and the EC will present three artists at the Coho. Tyvek, a Detroit-based band currently touring the west coast will headline the night, joined by local acts Th’ Losin’ Streaks and GGreen.

Miller said that the three groups are favorites among KDVS DJs. He added that many of their shows are typically booked after KDVS DJs contact their favorite artists and ask them to perform in Davis.

“Tyvek is a KDVS favorite and has topped our charts multiple times,” Basu said. “Last time I talked to them they said that Davis was one of their favorite places to play, simply because we bring it.”

“[Tyvek] are completely out of time and out of place, yet [are] never just ironic for irony’s sake,” said KDVS DJ Rick Ele, who hosts the show “Art for Spastics.” “This band exudes authenticity … and [are] surely one of the most fun and engaging bands this area has seen in recent years.”

Th’ Losin’ Streaks is a Sacramento-based band that has regularly performed in Davis. GGreen also comes from the Sacramento area.

Gym Class Heroes, Shwayze, Cisco Adler, DJ Skeet Skeet, LMFAO, HardNox, The Knux, Tyga

Thursday, Feb. 26, 8 p.m., $52/$37 general admission and $45/$29 with a student ID

ARC Pavilion

If Facebook invitations, flyers and posters weren’t enough to spread the word, the EC and music promotion company 6 Trees will present Gym Class Heroes, Shwayze, LMFAO, Tyga, The Knux and HardNox on Thursday at the ARC Pavilion.

According to its Facebook event page, the show has roughly 2,500 confirmed attendees. Lauren Young, a sophomore animal science major who plans to attend the show, said in an e-mail interview that she “[loves] the energy that Travis, the singer of [Gym Class Heroes], brings to the stage.”

“I think it’s awesome that we’ve been able to get such big names to Davis such as [Gym Class Heroes], Death Cab and Jason Mraz,” Young said. “It’s really exciting to have a chance to see them right in our own backyard!”

The venue’s familiar and on-campus location also adds to the appeal, Young said.

Doors open at 7 p.m. and performances will begin at 8 p.m. Tickets are available at the Freeborn Box Office and at tickets.com. For more information, visit the event’s Facebook group or the6trees.com.

Thao Nguyen, Agent Ribbons, BoomSnake

Friday, Feb. 27, 8 p.m., $5

ASUCD Coffee House

The second EC and KDVS production will feature Thao Nguyen, an indie-folk singer and guitarist known for her work in Thao Nguyen with the Get Down and Stay Down. Nguyen is currently in San Francisco for the Noise Pop music festival.

“I thought it was a great opportunity to get [Nguyen] here while she was still in SF,” Phansopha said.

Sacramento-based duo Agent Ribbons and BoomSnake will also perform.

Like the Wednesday show, the performances will begin at 8 p.m. and tickets cost $5 with a student ID. For more information, visit the event’s Facebook event page.

For more information on Entertainment Council, visit their Facebook page.

JUSTIN T. HO can be reached at arts@theaggie.org.