Men’s tennis preview

Who: UC Davis vs. No. 66 St. Mary’s; Santa Clara

Records: Aggies, 1-5 (0-2); Gaels, 2-8 (1-2); Broncos, 1-2 (0-0)

Where: Timothy Korth Tennis ComplexMoraga, Calif.; Degheri Tennis CenterSanta Clara, Calif.

When: Friday at 3 p.m.; Saturday at 3 p.m.

Who to watch: Sophomore Nick Lopez is leading the Aggies in wins this season.

A native of Orinda, Calif., Lopez has started this season with a 6-10 overall record5-3 singles, 1-7 doubleswhile seeing time at the No. 1 and No. 2 singles spots.

Lopez finished second on the team in singles victories with 15 and had 18 wins overall last year.

Did you know? In UC Davismost recent match against San Francisco on Saturday, Lopez was the sole Aggie to earn a victory in singles play. The Dons won 5-2.

Preview: The UC Davis men’s tennis team has been in a bit of a funk as of late. It won’t be catching any breaks this weekend.

In the first match, the Aggies will travel to Moraga to take on St. Mary’s, a team that is most recently off a loss to No. 5 Stanford.

However, the Gaels feature some of the top players in the world, including Achim Christner, a senior out of Germany, and Lucas Tirelli, a sophomore from France.

On Saturday, the Aggies will jump back on the bus to head down to Santa Clara.

The Aggies were set to play the Broncos almost a month earlier, but because of the heavy rain the area has been receiving, the teams were forced to reschedule three times.

Santa Clara has also been forced to postpone three other matches this season because of weather. Broncos coach Derek Mills simply hopes the teams get a change to compete this weekend.

“Right now, we are just hoping that the weather holds out,he said.

UC Davis pulled out a solid 4-1 win the last time the teams met on Jan. 19, 2008.

Matt Miller