Women’s rowing preview

Teams: UC Davis vs. St. Mary’s

Where: Port of Sacramento

When: Saturday; time TBA

Did you know? The women wrapped up their 2007-2008 season by winning the varsity eight event at the nationally recognized Dad-Vail Regatta in Philadelphia, Pa. They concluded their season with nine regattas wins, making it one of the most successful seasons in school history.

The program has won numerous awards and events over the years, including NCAA Division II Championships in 2002 and 2003. It currently fields a 46-member roster, making it the largest women’s program at UC Davis.

Preview: If you’ve passed by Hickey Gym or Toomey Field in the past couple weeks, you’ve probably heard the faint buzzing of machines and noticed a large team of women putting in hard work.

That team will have its first crack at putting its work on the machinescalled ergsto the test this weekend.

On Saturday, the Aggies will defend their home course in West Sacramento against the Gaels of St. Mary’s.

The Aggies met against the Gaels last season in Philadelphia, where UC Davis claimed the top spot in the 2,000-meter race with a time of 6:34; meanwhile, the Gaels finished in 11th place in the petite finals.

The dual this weekend will feature a varsity, junior varsity and novice event. The varsity squads are composed of returning rowers. Those in their first year rowing for UC Davisas well as those who are entirely new to the sportwill compete in the novice event.

To learn more about rowing, visit row2K.com. Directions to the Port of Sacramento can be found online at ucdcrew.org/contact.php.

Andrea Gutierrez