Women’s tennis preview

Who: UC Davis vs. UC San Diego

Records: Aggies, 6-7; Tritons, 2-1

Where: Marya Welch Tennis Center

When: Friday at 1:30 p.m.

Who to watch: Senior Jenna Kappel recently reached a milestone and has had a solid career overall with the UC Davis women’s tennis team.

Kappel earned her 50th overall victory against Kerri Kummer of San Jose State in singles action on Tuesday.

After earning a spot on the Division I All-Newcomer Team her freshman year, the Hawaii native then was selected to the Independent All-Academic squad as a sophomore.

Did you know? Friday’s contest between the Tritons will mark the first of nine straight home games the Aggies are slated to play at Marya Welch Tennis Center to close out the rest of the regular season.

UC Davis has been tough on its home court this season, posting an undefeated 3-0 record.

Preview: You can bet that both teams this Friday will feel like they have the momentum and a great shot to win.

On Saturday, UCSD earned its 50th consecutive California Collegiate Athletic Association win as it beat Cal State Los Angeles 8-1.

As for UC Davis, the Aggies are coming off a 7-0 sweep of San Jose State. It was their third sweep of the seasonsecond on the road.

UCSD is led by undefeated senior captain Tessa Tran. A graduate of Beverly Hills High School, Tran holds a career record in singles play of 21-13.

Tran will be forced to go up against either UC Davis freshman sensation Dahra Zamudio, junior Desiree Stone or senior Randi Schuler.

The trio leads UC Davis in overall victories with 40 apiece. Both Stone and Schuler have seen time at the No. 1 singles position.

Matt Miller