Women’s tennis wins big at home, knocks off UC San Diego 6-1

The Aggiesstars came out on Friday afternoon.

Each of the top four starters for the UC Davis women’s tennis teamRandi Schuler, Desiree Stone, Dahra Zamudio and Herzyl Legaspiearned wins in singles and doubles play en route to a 6-1 victory over UC San Diego.

We emphasize attitude and effort as our main goals, said coach Bill Maze.I thought they were great, so I was pleased with that.

The Aggies swept doubles action with 8-4, 6-5 (4), 8-1 victories over the Tritons, earning the first point of the match.

In singles play, the No. 1 through No. 4 singles players for UC Davis won in straight sets.

No. 1 Schuler defeated UCSD’s Natalie Varnay 6-0, 6-2 to improve her overall singles record to 3-5 and 14-16 overall.

At the No. 2 singles slot, Stone, a junior from Hollywood, Calif., took care of business by beating Ina Dan handedly 6-1, 6-2.

The freshman sensation Zamudio cruised to a 6-1, 6-0 win over Anita Athavale, a transfer who competed for UC Davis last season. It was Zamudio’s fourth consecutive win and sixth in her past seven.

No. 4 Legaspi earned the 6-4, 6-2 victory over Valerie Tang to put the Aggies up 5-0. The No. 5 and No. 6 slots were split, giving UC Davis the 6-1 final margin of victory.

The non-conference win improved the Aggies to 3-1 at home and 7-7 overall on the season. As for the Tritons, the loss dropped them to 3-2 overall, ending a three-game road-winning streak.

The Aggies will return to action on Friday, as they host Big West Conference rival Pacific at the Marya Welch Tennis Center at 2 p.m.

MATT MILLER can be reached at sports@theaggie.org.