Women’s club snowboarding team heads to nationals

Two members of the women’s Davis Alpine Ski and Snowboard team are set to leave today for Winter Pass, Colo. to compete in this weekend’s national championships.

Nationals feature the top 10 individual qualifiers from each region. Five members of the UC Davis squad qualified, two of whom have chosen to compete in the event: graduate student Tess Weathers and junior Christina Aguet.

Weathers has been competing since an early age, winning a variety of snowboarding competitions in the process. She was the lone Aggie to qualify for nationals last year, although she chose not to attend.

“She’s ridiculously good,said Chris Dempster, president of the Davis Alpine Ski and Snowboard club.I would be surprised if anyone can beat her there.

The championships, which started Feb. 27 and run through Apr. 8, offer a variety of skiing and snowboarding events.

Although the national competition offers a variety of ski and snowboard events, giant slalom snowboard racing is the event of choice for both of the UC Daviscompetitors.

The Aggies regional season consisted of four competitions, two of which resulted in victories. The last competition they attended was the regional final, where the two top teams qualified for national play.

Freshmen Julie Carlson and Jessica Lawrence and junior Michelle Immel were UC Davisother qualifiers for this year’s event.

“We have a great chance of bringing home a national championship to Davis,Dempster said.It’s really exciting for our club.

SAMMY BRASCH can be reached at sports@theaggie.org.