Women’s tennis preview

Who: UC Davis vs. Pacific; Montana State; UC Riverside

Records: Aggies (7-7, 1-3); Tigers (4-6, 1-0); Bobcats (6-6); Highlanders (4-6, 0-3)

Where: Marya Welch Tennis Center

When: Friday at 2 p.m.; Saturday at noon; Sunday at 11 a.m.

Who to watch: Winner of four straight singles matches and six of her last seven is Dahra Zamudio, the lone freshman starter for the UC Davis women’s tennis team.

The four-time Villa Park High School most valuable player is 8-4 in singles so far this season and 7-7 in doubles, co-leading the Aggies with senior Desiree Stone with 17 overall wins.

Did you know? The Aggies currently sit in seventh place in the Big West Conference standings. The conference is headed by a pair of undefeated teams in UC Irvine and Long Beach State.

Preview: As the tennis season starts winding to a close, two glaring conference matches stand right in the way this weekend.

The Aggies will be searching to jump back to .500 with a pair of home victories this weekend against conference foes Pacific and UC Riverside.

The first conference match will come on Friday against Pacific. The Tigers are coming off a 5-2 Big West win over UC Santa Barbara.

The Tigers are led by Jenifer Widjaja, a redshirt sophomore from Brazil. Widjaja has played a majority of Pacific’s matches as the No. 1 singles player. In 2007, she was ranked No. 186 in the world by the WTA.

The Tigers, along with many tennis programs both male and female in the United States, feature six singles starters from overseas, ranging from Brazil and Bermuda to Spain and Ukraine.

After Friday’s tough match against Pacific, the Aggies will square off against Montana State in non-conference action on Saturday. They’ll then face UC Riverside in the weekend finale.

Matt Miller