Campus Judicial Report

Caught on Camera

A junior was referred to SJA for a second time, this time for theft from the MU bookstore. In between her classes, the student went into the MU bookstore to get a magazine with adult content. Too embarrassed to purchase the magazine, she hid it under her coat and left the bookstore. Bookstore employees, who had been watching the security monitors while the incident took place, stopped the student outside the bookstore. She admitted to stealing the magazine. She paid for the magazine, as well as a $200 civil demand payment. The student also accepted the sanction of disciplinary probation until graduation.

Mismatch

A sophomore was referred to SJA for having another student take an exam for her. During a MAT16A final, TAs noticed a dissimilarity between the student’s appearance and the picture ID she presented. After grading the final exam, the professor realized that the student’s score had increased drastically from the midterm grade, and that the handwriting and signature did not match a previous exam. The student admitted dishonesty, but did not reveal who took the exam in her place. Because of the conspiracy and premeditation involved, having another take an exam in one’s place is one of the most serious violations of the Academic Code of Conduct. The student accepted a two-quarter suspension, deferred dismissal status until graduation, 20 hours of community service, a 5-page writing assignment and tutoring from the Learning Skills Center.

The Campus Judicial Report is compiled by student members of the Campus Judicial Board. Additional information about SJA and the Campus Judicial Board may be found at sja.ucdavis.edu.