Men’s tennis knocks off Swarthmore for first home win

With only one notch on their victory tally this season and in the midst of an eight-game slide, the Aggies were looking for a win.

On Monday, they found one.

The UC Davis men’s tennis team grabbed its second victory of the season, knocking off Swarthmore in shutout fashion, 7-0.

With the win, however, came a pair of nonconference losses at the hands of UC Santa Cruz and Nevada on Saturday and Sunday, respectively.

The Aggies will look to continue their winning ways Friday as they play host to Montana.

SaturdayUC Santa Cruz 4, UC Davis 3

The Banana Slugs are consistently one of the most competitive teams in the nation, as made evident by their six NCAA National Championships in the past 10 years.

UC Davis stayed with UC Santa Cruz for most of the match, but it wasn’t enough to get the win as it fell 4-3.

“Overall, the coaching staff was proud of the fighting spirit of the team,coach Darryl Lee said.

The first point of the match was awarded to the Slugs after they earned the first two doubles victories. Hunter Lee and Nick Lopez grabbed a consolation win in the final doubles game, beating Jared Kamel and Max Liberty-Point 8-5.

As singles play went underway, the Aggiestop three seedsLopez, Michael Reiser and Leeall took care of business, producing all three points for UC Davis.

The Slugs took the remaining three points to pick up the win.

SundayNevada 7, UC Davis 0

Sunday featured a tale of two different tapes.

On one end, the Aggies feature mostly California grown, tough, smart tennis players.

On the other side, Nevada is a team full of skilled players from all over the worldincluding Mauritius, an island off the coast of Madagascar.

Unfortunately for UC Davis, Nevada’s side of the tape prevailed in a 7-0 sweep.

MondayUC Davis 7, Swarthmore 0

The Aggies picked up their first win since Feb. 1 in the form of a shutout win over Swarthmore on Monday to close out the first half of the season.

“It was nice to get our first home victory for the players,Lee said.Going forward now in the second part of the season, I’m confident that despite our rough record, we have shown a fighting spirit and a willingness to learn.

“It’s a matter of working at it and following through. I think we will be able to hold our own.

MATT MILLER can be reached at sports@theaggie.org.