Women’s track and field preview

Event: Aggie Open

Where: Toomey Field

When: Saturday; all day

Who to watch: Sophomore Ashley Hearn dominated last weekend’s discus throw, hitting 47.48m to qualify for the Western Regional Championships.

I was stoked to get the qualifier in my first meet,Hearn said.Last year I was 4 cm off. To come back the next year and get it right away was a relief. I got it on my first throw and I actually thought I had missed it. I was disappointed walking out until I heard them call the distance.

Hearn also competed in the shot put and hammer throw, taking third and fourth, respectively.

Did you know? This will be the first steeplechase of the year for the Aggies, who look to be led by junior Ali Stoakley, the third fastest in school history.

Stoakley will be joined by sophomore Caitlin Fitzgerald and freshmen Samantha Kearny and Jennifer Norris, all competing in their first steeplechase.

It’s exciting that there’s a lot more of us this year, and we are all miles ahead of where we were last year,Stoakley said.We have some idea of what to expect, but we are going to go out there and race hard. Hopefully the times will come.

Preview: The Aggies have one more test before finals start next week, and that will come at Saturday’s Aggie Open here in Davis.

“Basically our challenge is that, because we are a quarter school, as soon as we get our momentum going,boomwe are slapped down with finals,coach Deanne Vochatzer said.That being said, we got to get qualifying marks for Stanford and the Cal-Nevada Championships.

Though undoubtedly some fast times will come on the track, many top marks are expected off it as well.

Field event wise, we’re in our home dig so I’m hoping to get some quality marks done,Vochatzer said.In the long jump, Stephanie Eckels and freshman Kayla Green will hopefully get something done. Then [throws coach Tim] Fua is looking for both Chid [Onyewuenyl] and Hearn to get [the regional qualifier] in the hammer.

Though pleased with last weekend’s opener, the Aggies are ready to do even more at home.

Last week we got some work done,Vochatzer said,but we have to get some more marks under our belt. We’re going to run the 4x100m. The women have to get a little bit better marks.

It’s at home, and the weather is supposed to be nice, so I’m looking forward to us having a good meet.

– Alex Wolf-Root