Farmers market options abound

Two special Farmers Market offerings are back along with the warm weather: Picnic in the Park and the East Quad Farmers Market.

Held in Central Park every Wednesday evening, Picnic in the Park is similar to the weekend Farmers Market but with a greater emphasis on music and dining.

Musical artists in varying genressuch as rockabilly, Celtic and rocknrollperform each week. Blues group Black Cat Bone will perform this Wednesday, and on May 27 UCD’s own Cal Aggie Marching Band-uh! will take the stage along with the Davis High School band.

In addition to the usual array of seasonal fruits, vegetables and other kitchen staples, Picnic in the Park also includes an International Food Faire, featuring dinner specialties prepared by local restaurants. Some of the dinner vendors include Raja Indian Cuisine, Thai Recipes, The Hotdogger and El Mariachi Taqueria. This year, the market has added three new vendors: Yolo Land & Cattle Co., Davis Creamery and Woodstock’s Pizza.

Adults over the age of 21 can enjoy the offerings of a beer and wine booth sponsored by the Soroptimists and Venture Club of Davis. Proceeds from the sale of beverages at the booth are distributed to local charities.

Picnic in the Park lasts throughout the spring, summer and part of fall, ending on Oct. 28. Market hours are 4:30 p.m. to 8:30 p.m.

Spring is also the season for the East Quad Farmers Market, a collaboration between UCD’s Student Health Services and the Davis Farmers Market.

Located on the Quad across the street from North Hall, the East Quad Farmers Market includes many of the same vendors offering fruits, vegetables, nuts and flowers.

The market runs every Wednesday during spring quarter, ending June 3. Market hours are 10 a.m. to 2:30 p.m.

By JEREMY OGUL