Women’s water polo wins five of six over break

The Aggies went 5-1 over spring break, knocking off three teams ranked in the top 20 nationally in the process.

The team was led by senior Lindsay Kiyama, who tallied 13 goals in the six-game stint. Sophomore Dakotah Mohr added 10 goals and 30 exclusions.

Mar. 14 – No. 11 UC Davis 10, No. 19 Maryland 9

The Aggies first game of the weekend sure was a close one.

The contest went back and forth for six periods with regulation ending with the teams tied 9-9. Mohr cracked the two-period silence and drew an ejection 40 seconds into the first sudden death period. Kiyama then finished the deal, finding the back of the net with a five-meter penalty shot for the win.

Mohr led the squad with three goals and drew a school record of 11 exclusions. Senior goalkeeper Diana Pivacek, who played the second half and overtime periods, had 10 saves with five goals against.

“We werent as prepared to play Maryland as I wish we had been, said coach Jamey Wright. “Their style of play was different from anything we had seen.

Mar. 15 – No. 5 San Diego State 10, No. 11 UC Davis 8

The Aggies came out hot against a familiar foe, taking a 2-1 lead over the fifth-ranked Aztecs.

San Diego State senior standout Anna Gonzales scored the first two goals of the second period, giving the Aztecs the lead for good. Gonzales finished the games with four goals.

Kiyama, who has scored 15 of her 31 goals in the past seven games, led the Aggies with four strikes on Sunday. Mohr finished the game with six ejections, which brought her season total to 101, making her the first Aggie ever to break 100-ejection plateau.

Mar. 21 – No. 11 UC Davis 17, UC Santa Cruz 3

The Aggies salted the Slugs in an early Saturday morning slaughter.

Five different Aggies scored two goals apiece, as UC Davis was the only team to score in the second and third periods.

Mar. 21 – No. 11 UC Davis 5, Harvard 3

UC Davis and Harvard met in the lowest scoring contest for either team this season. Sophomore Lauren Seidemann scored two goals as part of a 4-0 start for the Aggies.

Pivacek had nine saves, including a crucial five-meter penalty shot block late in the fourth.

Saturday – No. 11 UC Davis 12, No. 13 Santa Barbara 7

Veterans led the Aggies to a victory in their first Big West Conference game of the year.

UC Davis came out with a 4-0 start, while their sister school came back to tie the game with a four-goal run of their own.

The Aggies led by one at halftime. They then went on a 4-0 charge to give them a 9-4 lead, clinching the conference win for UC Davis.

Kiyama and junior Dana Nelson led the Aggies with three goals each, Freshman Kaylee Miller added two of her own.

Sunday – No. 11 UC Davis 6, No. 15 Cal State Northridge 5

The Aggies won their second Big West game in as many chances with a 6-5 overtime win over the Matadors on Sunday. The win moves UC Davis to 3-0 in overtime contests.

Miller led the team with a hat trick while junior goalkeeper Casey Hines recorded 10 saves to go along with a career-high six steals.

With 11 seconds remaining in the first three-minute overtime period, Miller netted a lob out of the reach of Northridge junior goalie Jillian Stapf, who had a season-high 20 saves for the game. Neither team scored in the second overtime, closing out the win for the Aggies.

“Getting the two wins this weekend was definitely a step in the right direction, Mohr said. “Were looking to win the first conference title.

SAMMY BRASCH can be reached at sports@theaggie.org.