And then I found 5 dollars

You have to admit, spring quarter in Davis kicks every other quarter’s butt. It can bring out a joie de vivre in even the most sullen of people. The sun is shining, the flowers are in bloom and everyone seems to be smiling. No one knows quite what it is that kick-starts this change that seems to take place almost overnight, but something makes the world shine a little brighter when we get back from spring break. Many theorize that it’s the weather. The lack of rain clouds that darkened winter quarter days clears the skies and our minds. However, with the beautiful sun and fluffy white clouds comes a seemingly harmless enjoyment. The diverse flora of Davis can drive people up the wall and the sale of Claritin through the roof. Even if you aren’t allergic to the array of plant life in this town, the smell of the Evergreen Pears (more commonly referred to as Cumbleberry trees) can be enough to keep you indoors.

So maybe it’s not the beautiful weather that makes spring quarter in Davis so great. Maybe the lack of winter clothing and heavy jackets takes some sort of small, yet literal, weight off of people’s shoulders. Or it could be that there is just so much more to do. Or maybe the fact that it is the season before summer brings about a TGIF feeling, where the mere anticipation of a break is enough to incite excitement and jubilation. Whatever it is, it’s undeniable that Davis in spring is definitely special. And if I haven’t convinced you yet, here are just a couple more reasons to add a little spring to your step (pardon the pun).

Ducklings. Who can resist these? Yellow, fluffy and cute as heck, these little guys can bring a smile to anyone’s face. Even my roommate Emily (who would rank animals somewhere between finals and eye exams on her list of favorite things) isn’t immune to the power of ducklings. We took a walk down to the arboretum and participated in a requisitegirl momentwhen we saw them scrambling over each other, flapping their tiny, fuzzy wings. The next best thing would be the baby horses in the field south of campus.

Picnic Day. While Picnic Day seems to top many studentslists of best Davis activities, I’ve never experienced a truly great Picnic Day. Crutches, rain and work have kept my Picnic Day festivities all too mellow the past few years, but I’m determined to fix that this time around. However, seeing as how I would pick sleeping over drinking any day, I don’t foresee rising at six in the morning for any amount of alcohol. Instead, I am determined to spend my day at Doxie Derby, a surprisingly entertaining and joyful event considering it consists of dogs repeatedly running across the pavilion.

Whole Earth Festival. In my opinion, this event trumps Picnic Day. First of all, it’s not just one day, but a whole weekend. This weekend consists of sights, sounds and smells that you’ve most likely never experienced all at once. New age hippies invade the Quad (not to be confused with traditional hippies who didn’t ridiculously overprice jewelry and candles). For one weekend, there are more colors on the Quad than in a box of crayons. The 108 pack. And everywhere you go is the scent of incense, body odor or marijuana. A refreshing change to the Cumbleberry trees.

Now, I know what you’re saying:You had me atducklings.‘” But if for some crazy reason you needed some more encouragement, go ahead and rejoice. Spring quarter is here!

DANIELLE RAMIREZ wants to know if anyone else is as in love with the ducklings at the arboretum as she is. To relate, e-mail her at dramirez@ucdavis.edu.