Wednesday, May 8, 2024

Consume cotton candy and contribute to a cause

If spring has you yearning for some fun in the sun or too much time has passed since your last corndog, Emerson Junior High School offers a solution.

The school’s PTA will be sponsoring its second annual Emerson Junior High Carnival from 4 p.m. Thursday through 10 p.m. Sunday at Cannery Park in Davis, located on Covell Avenue and J Street.

The event will offer typical carnival attractions such as fair food, games and 20 rides sponsored by Butler Amusements. The rides are open to both the young and the young at heart and include the Zipper, Loli Swings, the Century Wheel and the Cliffhanger.

Traditional carnival food such as corndogs and cotton candy will be available, and live entertainment will be featured Friday and Saturday.

Friday evening will feature musical performances kicked off by the Emerson Jr. High Jazz band at 4:15 p.m., followed by Slice and closed by headlining band The Lovetrain at 7 p.m.

Saturday night features a demo by Baciarini’s Martial Arts Team and the musical stylings of Speakeasy, Doodle, the Jazz Cats, Hotwired and Hardwater.

The Emerson Junior High Carnival first took place last spring in a fundraising effort to save the school, said Meera Klein, PTA Carnival Committee member.

“Last year the school was slated to be closed, so the carnival was particularly important,Klein said.

Klein said the money earned last year was used to fund various school programs.

“We used the money raised last year for a variety of programs from technology to drama to athletics, she said.

“We netted about $22,000 last year and we want to equal or exceed that amount [this year], said PTA President Francis McChesney.

This year the PTA hopes for another successful carnival to help raise funding to meet various school needs.

“We have the same plan for the money this year – to use it to support grants for the teachers, [and] also intend to expand it to include field trips,McChesney said.

While admission and parking for the carnival are free, the rides, food and games are not. Rides range from three to five coupons, and individual ride coupons can be purchased at the event for a dollar a piece.

Unlimited one-day ride passes may be purchased for $25.00 at the carnival, or in advance for $20.00 at the Davis Food Co-op, Fleet Feet, H2O to Go or Lamppost Pizza. Advance tickets can be traded in at the carnival for a wristband.

AMANDA HARDWICK can be reached at features@theaggie.org.