Women’s rowing preview

Event: San Diego Crew Classic

Teams: UC Davis vs. Washington, Michigan, Notre Dame, among others

Where: Mission BaySan Diego, Calif.

When: Saturday and Sunday; all day

Did you know? The UC Davis women won back-to-back coveted Cal Cups during their 2007 and 2008 seasons, fending off the likes of San Diego and SUNY for the titles.

As a result of their victories, the Aggies will be moving up a bracket this year to compete in the Jessop-Whittier Cup.

Preview: The UC Davis women’s rowing team has its work cut out for it as it heads to sunny San Diego this weekend to participate in the biggest regatta on the West Coast: the San Diego Crew Classic.

The Classic will feature various levels of rowers, ranging from juniors to ex-national teams to UC Davismen’s and women’s teams.

The women will be competing in a much tougher field this season, as they look to advance from their heat on Saturday to the grand finals on Sunday.

Last season, the women won their category by two seats over San Diego.

This season, however, the preliminary field will be comprised of rowing powerhouses such as Wisconsin, USC, Washington, UCLA, Oregon State and Michigan.

The Aggies will have to pull out a top-two finish in their heat in order to guarantee themselves a spot in the grand finals. Unfortunately for the Aggies, the 2,000-meter racecourse is in open ocean waters, where a very active crosswind tide makes lane assignments crucial.

Due to random assignment, the Aggies will be racing in lane six, which is considered to be the roughest water on the course.

To watch the races live, visit: jamcotimes/2009sdcc.

Andrea Gutierrez