News in brief

Woodland man sentenced on child porn charges

After pleading guilty to possession of child pornography, Woodland resident Robert Sutton was sentenced to 16 months in state prison, Yolo County District Attorney Jeff Reisig announced Wednesday.

In October 2008, Sutton’s girlfriend found several CDs with the wordPICTURESwritten on them in his closet, according to a press release. She put one of the CDs in Sutton’s computer and immediately contacted police after seeing a photo of a man molesting a naked 2-year-old girl.

Investigators seized Sutton’s computer equipment and found thousands of child pornography images, including images and videos of men performing sex acts on girls between the ages of five and eight, Reisig said.

“Looking at these pictures and videos makes one sick to the stomach,said Chief Deputy District Attorney Jonathan Raven, who prosecuted the case.Our experience shows that the criminal who today trades and views child porn will likely be the child molester of tomorrow.

Sutton will be required to register for life as a sex offender.

Wolk appointed to budget oversight committees

New State Senator Lois Wolk (D-Davis) has been appointed to two bicameral committees responsible for overseeing California’s budget and fiscal actions.

The Senate Rules Committee appointed Wolk to the Joint Legislative Audit Committee and the Joint Legislative Budget Committee.

In a written statement, Wolk said she was honored to serve on the committees.

“It is essential that state and state-funded programs be held accountable for their management practices,she said.In these dire fiscal times, the state must ensure that the taxpayer’s dollars are spent as wisely and efficiently as possible.

The Joint Legislative Audit Committee researches, studies and assesses the state’s financial practices, according to a press release from Wolk’s office. The Joint Legislative Budget Committee is responsible for providing ongoing budget oversight and reviewing adjustments to the state budget. These adjustments may include appropriation authority for unanticipated funds, such as new federal funding and transfer of funds between programs, according to the press release.

“This committee’s role is especially critical now, when the budget is in such constant flux,Wolk said.

Underage tobacco sale arrest made

A Save Mart clerk was arrested Saturday after selling a pack of cigarettes to two minors in a sting operation, District Attorney Jeff Reisig announced Wednesday.

The operation used members of Youth United for Action Showing Tobacco Ain’t Right (YUFA STAR) as minor decoys. The decoys visited 12 businesses that sell tobacco in Davis. The clerk at Save Mart sold two 16-year-old decoys a single pack of cigarettes, according to a press release from the district attorney’s office.

“With youth coalitions like these helping, we can insure that minors will find it hard to purchase tobacco and subject themselves to a lifetime of addiction,Reisig said in a written statement.

If the clerk is found guilty, she could be fined up to $200.

Nominations sought for liberty award

The Yolo County Bar Associations is seeking nominations for its Liberty Bell Award now through Apr. 24.

Established over 30 years ago to acknowledge outstanding community service, the Liberty Bell Award is presented each year to a layperson who has promoted better understanding of the rule of law, encouraged greater respect for law and the courts, stimulated a sense of civic responsibility or contributed to good government in the community, according to a press release.

Nominations can be submitted by contacting Hope Welton at 666-8172 or by fax at 666-8279. Nominations should include contact information, a brief description of the nominee and a statement on why they are deserving of the award.

CPR classes planned this month

The American Red Cross of Yolo County will offer several adult CPR and AED classes this month.

Students will learn and practice CPR skills on mannequins. They will also learn rescue breathing, unconscious and conscious choking rescue, how to prevent disease transmission and how to use an automated external defibrillator (AED).

The first class in the series is Sunday. Subsequent dates are Apr. 9, Apr. 14 and Apr. 28. All classes are held at the county American Red Cross chapter office at 120 Court St. in Woodland.

To register or learn more information, call 662-4669 or visit yc-arc.org.