Senior Day loss caps off regular season

No five-point loss could overshadow the accomplishments of the five seniors on UC Davis women’s tennis team.

Jenna Kappel, Jessica Harris, Andrea Phillips, Randi Schuler and Emma Shapiro were all honored before Saturday’s Senior Day match, a 6-1 loss to No. 49 Sacramento State.

The group has played an instrumental role in building the tennis program into the contender that it is today, and just this season the seniors have collectively totaled 81 victories overall.

Kappel has over a quarter of those victories with 24, which is tied for second on the team overall. The exercise biology major from Honolulu, Hawaii has earned 62 wins overall28 in singles and 34 in doublesover her four-year playing career.

Harris, the anchor for the Aggies this season at No. 6, finished 18-13 overall this year and helped the Aggies to decisive conference victories over UC Riverside and Cal State Fullerton.

Phillips saw limited action in singles this season and compiled 10 of her 11 victories in doubles. Her best season in singles came in 2006 when the psychology major went 14-9 and paced the team with her impressive .609 winning percentage.

Randi Schuler, a transfer from Purdue and a native of Woodland, Calif., played all 14 of her singles matches as the team’s No.1. She went 13-9 with junior Desiree Stone in doubles this season.

Emma Shapiro was the final senior to be honored and entered Friday’s match having won five of her last six singles matches. The exercise biology major has had a strong career at UC Davis, amassing 65 total victories overall.

The Aggies, earning a slot as the seventh seed, will now go on to play second-seeded UC Irvine in the first round of the tournament next Friday at Indian Wells Tennis Garden in Indian Wells, Calif.

“Heading into the tournament, we’ll play like we have nothing to lose,coach William Maze said.All I can ask for is great effort and great attitude. That gives us the best chance to win.

MATT MILLER can be reached at sports@theaggie.org.