Women’s water polo splits final homestand

The UC Davis women’s water polo team concluded its regular season with a weekend split.

A strong defensive showing carried the Aggies to an 8-3 win over Santa Clara on Friday. They couldn’t find a way to get the defensive domination to carry over to Saturday, though, as San Jose State posted a 14-5 win to spoil UC DavisSenior Day.

The Aggies (22-9) will next be in action at the inaugural Big West Conference Women’s Water Polo Championships. Championships begin Friday in Stockton, Calif.

FridayNo. 10 UC Davis 8, Santa Clara 3

The Aggie defense was the story on Friday, as it held the Broncos to two scoreless quarters and posted a 23-minute scoreless streak to close out the victory.

Junior goalkeeper Casey Hines had 12 saves, including seven in the second half, helping UC Davis pull away after a 3-2 halftime lead.

Senior Lindsay Kiyama and freshman Kaylee Miller led the Aggies with two goals apiece. It was the second game in a row that the experienced Kiyama and the youthful Miller led UC Davis to victory. They combined for six goals against Pacific on Apr. 11.

Miller scored back-to-back goals to start the second half, igniting the Aggies runaway victory.

“It was really good to get this win,Miller said,but the whole team is really looking forward to next weekend’s tournament.

SaturdayNo. 6 San Jose State 14, No. 10 UC Davis 5

UC Davis couldn’t limit San Jose State’s offensive firepower on Saturday. Four Spartans had at least three goals, as they cruised to a 14-5 win at Schaal Aquatics Center.

The Picnic Day contest served as a home finale for UC Davis seniors Kiyama, Sofia Patronas, Sarah Odegard, Diana Pivacek, Emily Kitchens and Cari MacPhail.

The Spartans jumped out to a quick 4-0 start, and the Aggies did not have the offensive explosiveness necessary to get them back in the game.

UC Davis shot just 5-for-30. The nine-goal loss was its largest margin of defeat this season. Kiyama (two goals) led the Aggies in scoring for the fifth game in a row.

“There was just no way we could catch up shooting like that,said sophomore Dakotah Mohr.It sucks to have our last game at home end like that, but it’s all about the Big West Championships now.

SAMMY BRASCH can be reached at sports@theaggie.org.