Highlanders take series from Aggies

After putting 10 runs on the board to win the first half of its Saturday doubleheader, the UC Davis softball team was held scoreless in its next two games en route to 1-2 series defeat at UC Riverside.

Saturday: Game 1UC Davis 10, UC Riverside 5

The Aggies scored a total of nine runs in their previous three-game set against Cal State Fullerton.

They matched that number and then some by the time the first half of Saturday’s doubleheader had come to a close, knocking off UC Riverside, 10-5.

“It was a great game,said coach Karen Yoder.Everybody contributed. We put pressure on their starting pitcher and knocked her out of the game and continued to apply pressure on their second pitcher.

The Aggies jumped on the board first as junior Erin Emde’s two-run single highlighted a three-run first inning.

In the top half of the next inning, three unearned runs allowed the Highlanders to get back into the game.

Sophomore Bianca Castillo countered with a solo shot to left-center in the fourth to put the Aggies up 4-3. UC Riverside scored in the bottom of the inning.

With the score tied in the fifth, junior Marissa Araujo belted a three-run home run to put the Aggies on top 7-4. Freshman Kelly Harman added another three-run shot in the seventh as UC Davis cruised to victory.

Emde went 3-for-3 with two RBI. Araujo and Harman each added three RBI.

In the circle, senior Jessica Hancock recorded her 13th win by tossing six innings. She allowed one earned run while striking out four.

“It was a good outing from her,Yoder said.We really couldn’t have asked for much more from her.

Saturday: Game 2UC Riverside 1, UC Davis 0

After the Aggies exploded for 10 runs in the first game of the double dip, they were held scoreless in the second game as the Highlanders battled to a 1-0 victory.

UC Riverside scored their lone run in the first inning. It received a brilliant performance from freshman Amy Lwin, who allowed just five hits to shutout UC Davis.

Sophomore Alex Holmes pitched well for the Aggies, but it was all for naught as she was charged with the loss.

“It’s a disappointment to go from one extreme to the other on the same day,Yoder said.We need to be consistent on offense, defense, in base running and pitching at the same time.

Emde had two of the Aggiesfive hits on the day.

SundayUC Riverside 4, UC Davis 0

UC Davisoffense woes continued in the rubber match of the weekend series. The Aggies were shutout for the second consecutive game, falling 4-0 to UC Riverside.

The Highlanders scored two runs in both the second and third inning. The Aggies, meanwhile, weren’t able to advance a runner past second base.

“There were multiple mental base running errors,Yoder said.Hopefully there are some lessons learned there.

UC Davis will host a non-conference doubleheader with Oregon State on Thursday before heading back into Big West play for a weekend series against Cal Poly.

MAX ROSENBLUM can be reached at sports@theaggie.org.