Davis gets boost from federal stimulus

In what appears to be a silver lining to the economic troubles facing the city, Davis is set to receive a big chunk of change from the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act, the federal stimulus bill passed earlier this year.

More than $1.9 million has been allocated to the city of Davis to pay for work on bikeways around the city, improvements to Second Street downtown, block grants for energy efficiency improvements and funding for the police department.

Other funding has been allocated to the Davis Joint Unified School District, Yolo County Airport and CommuniCare Health Centers in Davis.

According to the Davis Public Works Department, some of the bikeway segments slated for repair are:

West side of Lake Boulevard from Lake Terrace Circle to 919 Lake Blvd.East side of Anderson Road from Barcelona to Catalina DriveWest side of Anderson Road from Catalina to Peregrine AvenueVeterans Memorial Building frontageWalnut Park connector from Lillard Drive to Walnut ParkEvergreen greenbelt from Covell Boulevard west of Highway 113 to Santa Rosa Street bike bridgeNorthstar perimeter bike path along Sandpiper Drive

The funds are among nearly $80 million that U.S. Rep. Mike Thompson, D-St. Helena, says has been targeted for the First Congressional District.