Campus Judicial Report

Caught in the Act

A junior was referred to Student Judicial Affairs for using unauthorized material during an exam. The teaching assistant noticed that the student was strangely positioning her calculator as if she were reading the screen. When the teaching assistant confronted the student she discovered that the student’s calculator did in fact contain formulas and definitions. The student admitted the dishonesty and agreed to disciplinary probation and 10 hours of community service.

Altering an Exam

A first-year with no prior disciplinary record was referred to SJA for altering an exam and submitting it for re-grading. The student was referred after the professor looked over the student’s exam and noticed that there were visible alterations made on the exam before it was submitted for additional credit. The student admitted to the misconduct and agreed upon the sanction of deferred separation and 10 hours of community service.

Cheating on an Exam

A student of senior standing with two previous referrals to SJA and one previous violation was referred again for allegedly collaborating and/or cheating on two separate exams. Although no one noticed misconduct during the actual exams, both students were reported after the professor and teaching assistant discovered striking similarities in responses between the two studentsanswers on the midterm and final exam for two different classes in a series. The senior admitted to copying from the other student without her consent. As a result, he agreed to a one-quarter suspension and then disciplinary probation through Summer Session I.

The Campus Judicial Report is compiled by student members of the Campus Judicial Board. Additional information about SJA and the Campus Judicial Board may be found at sja.ucdavis.edu.