Rollin’ with the funk

The Whole Earth Festival staff invites the Davis communityto come get your dancey parts warmed up for Whole Earththis Saturday at their third and possibly final Roller Disco.

The fundraiser and precursor to the festival will be held this Saturday from 8:30 p.m. to 12:30 a.m. Sunday at the DISC Hockey Rink in South Davis, located on 2801 2nd St. at the corner of 2nd and Pena Drive. This may be the last Roller Disco as the rink will close this June; the owners will move the business to Woodland.

“This is definitely going to be much, much better [then previous Roller Discos],said Whole Earth Co-Director Michael Siminitus.We have better costumes, better lighting, and a really big sound system that’s going to play some really funky music.

The last Roller Disco, which was held in December, was attended by over 250 people and raised approximately $1,000 dollars in support of the festival.

“Hopefully even more people will show up this year because it’s the third time we’ve done it,said Ari Reisman Whole Earth co-director and senior comparative literature major.And we definitely encourage people to dress upto bring your most disco friendly clothes or even just your weirdest clothes.

Claire Ray, a junior landscape architecture major attended the December Roller Disco and has since become part of the Whole Earth Festival staff.

“It was a lot of fun, there’s some really interesting costumes, people with Afro wigs and glowy shirts and pants and aviator glasses. I wore a one piece suede zip up outfit with bell bottoms,Ray said.

Presale tickets can be purchased for $10 at Armadillo Music and the Davis Co-Op patio from 3 to 5 p.m. today and 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. Friday. Tickets can also be purchased for $12 at the door.

The hockey rink will be decorated with disco themes and the event will also feature games, but the staff was vague as to the exact nature of these two features.

“We’ve already done it a couple of times, said Siminitus, a 2006 Davis alumnus,and with so many things going on its going to be amazing. There’s no need to stress on the details, it is a lot of fun.

The 2009 Whole Earth Festival will be on May 8, 9 and 10.

CHARLES HINRIKSSON can be reached at features@theaggie.org.