Local criminals convicted in court

Man sentenced 12 years for burglary

The Yolo County District Attorney’s Office announced this week that Immanuel Showtell was sentenced to 12 years in prison after he pled guilty to first-degree burglary.

Immanuel Showtell, 20, was on probation from Sacramento County when he broke into a residence on Ortiz Way in Woodland. One of the residents of the home chased Showtell out of the house and down the street. Showtell was found with property from the home and an 8-inch metal prying tool, the district attorney said.

Carjacker sentenced to 19 years

Superior Court Judge Arvid Johnson sentenced a Sacramento man this week to the state’s maximum sentence of 19 years for carjacking with a firearm.

Miguel Angel Castillo was convicted in March for a carjacking that occurred last summer. Evidence presented during the trial showed that Castillo approached a man at a boat ramp in West Sacramento and pointed a sawed-off shotgun in his face, telling him to get out of the truck if he didn’t want to die.

Castillo fled the truck days later after being spotted by Sacramento Police officers, who later arrested him.

Vallejo man convicted of child rape

A Yolo County jury found a Vallejo man guilty of eight forcible sex crimes last week. The counts included rape, forcible penetration with foreign objects and lewd and lascivious acts with a child under the age of 14.

Victor Anthony Chappale, a former resident of both Davis and Woodland, was found guilty of committing the crimes against two victims: a foster daughter who lived in his home between the ages of 13 and 15, and his biological daughter, who was 12 at the time of the crime.

The two victims, now in their twenties, testified at the trial. An extended statute of limitations allowed the DA to prosecute the crimes, which occurred over 10 years ago.

Chappale was already serving a 12-year prison sentence for killing a man when he was charged with the crimes in August 2008. He was originally scheduled for parole in September 2010.

“This was a dangerous predator that was going to be released into our community unless someone did something to stop him,said District Attorney Jeff Reisig in a written statement.It was not a question of if he would reoffend, but when.

Chappale faces a maximum sentence of 135 years to life in prison. Sentencing is scheduled for May 4.