Campus Judicial Report

Forgery

A senior was referred to Student Judicial Affairs for providing false information for academic reasons. The student submitted a doctor’s note to qualify for a late drop for a course. However, after submitting the doctor’s note to the dean’s office, the assistant director suspected that the note was not authentic and contacted the doctor to investigate the matter further. The student was found to be in violation of forging the doctor’s note, and for providing false information to drop a course. The student agreed to be placed on deferred separation to complete a writing assignment regarding the importance of upholding the standards of integrity and fairness.

Copying during an exam

A freshman was referred to the SJA office for copying answers from another student’s exam. After the professor looked through the midterm exams, he noticed the trend of similar wrong answers on both of the studentsexams. Upon meeting with an SJA officer, the student admitted to studying with another student, and later copying from him on two midterm exams. The student was suspended until fall 2009 and will be on deferred separation status through graduation. In addition, the student agreed to complete 20 hours of community service.

Drunken altercation

A student of senior standing was referred to the SJA office for physically assaulting a student while under the influence of alcohol. The student admitted to instigating the fight by throwing pieces of food at another student in the Segundo Dining Commons. After the intoxicated student escalated matters by physically assaulting the other student, the police arrived and the intoxicated student was found to be in violation of disorderly conduct and disturbing the peace. The student agreed to disciplinary probation until graduation and 10 hours of community service.

The Campus Judicial Report is compiled by student members of the Campus Judicial Board. Additional information about SJA and the Campus Judicial Board may be found at sja.ucdavis.edu.