Regional news in brief

14 sex offenders arrested

Law enforcement personnel arrested 14 sex offenders in a task force operation in Solano County on Wednesday.

The Region II SAFE Task Force dispersed throughout the county to seek out sex offenders who were violating the terms of their probation or parole, according to a press release.

Of the 51 registered sex offenders who were contacted, 14 were taken into custody for failing to pass on-site drug tests, being under the influence, or possessing illegal contraband, pornographic material or drug paraphernalia. Arrests were made in Fairfield, Vallejo and Vacaville, and suspects were booked into the Solano County Jail.

The SAFE Task Force consists of members of the Sheriff’s Offices of Solano, Napa, Santa Cruz, Contra Costa, Santa Clara and Mendocino Counties.

Biking tour offered

The Yolo Basin foundation is inviting community members to its annualBirding by Biketour of the City of Davis Wetlands.

Lead docent John Mott-Smith and several other docents from the foundation will lead participants through the wetlands and point out resident and migratory bird species such as killdeer, American white pelicans, black phoebes, black-necked stilts, Swainson hawks and western kingbirds.

All of the roads on the tour are unpaved, and cyclists will be required to wear helmets.

The tour is on June 7 from 9 to 11 a.m. More information is available at yolobasin.org.

Memorial service planned for May 29

The Yolo County Public Guardian-Public Administrator’s Office will host its annual memorial service on May 29 for individuals who died alone in the past year.

The office helps those who cannot care for themselves by managing their estate and affairs, as well as manage the estates of those who die in Yolo County without a will or without a relative in the state willing or able to act as an administrator, according to a press release.

“Generally, those served through the indigent burial and cremation program are very low income and often disenfranchised from their families,the press release said.

Congress recognizes UC Davis

The U.S. House of Representatives unanimously voted for a resolution to congratulate UC Davis on its centennial anniversary, according to The Daily Democrat. The resolution, HR 448, was introduced by Representative Mike Thompson and recognizes and thanks the university for its contributions to local communities, the state and nation.