Forever 21 plans move to University Mall

In business news this week, Forever 21 plans a move to Davis and Fuzio Universal Bistro opens in a new building on G Street.

Out with the old

As Gottschalks prepares to move out of the University Mall this summer, apparel retailer Forever 21 is looking to move in.

Known among young women for its affordable and chic clothing, Forever 21 recently placed bids to take over 16 Gottschalks stores, including the one in Davis. A judge could approve the deal within a week, according to the Sacramento Business Journal.

The U-Mall store is 34,000 square feet, much larger than the typical size of a Forever 21 location, according to reports.

Specialty grocer Trader Joe’s has expressed interest in opening a store at the U-Mall, causing speculation that it would move into the Gottschalks space. Trader Joe’s representatives and U-Mall owners have been quiet about the prospects of a deal.

A privately owned company, Forever 21 has more than 400 stores worldwide and has recently expanded its offerings to include men’s apparel. It currently operates two stores in Sacramento one in Downtown Plaza and one at Arden Fair Mall.

Back in town

Hungry diners looking for a global twist on dinner are in luckFuzio Universal Bistro reopened this weekend in Downtown Davis.

Fuzio left its original Davis location on First Street in March. It reopened Friday in a newly constructed building at 139 G St., the former site of Cantina del Cabo.

The biggest change is size. The restaurant is now big enough to seat 134 people, and there is enough space for multiple larger parties of six or eight, said general manager Perry Stockwell.

“We broke off the bar so there’s actually a bar area now [with] a little bit of separation,Stockwell said.

Additionally, the ceilings at the new location are six feet higher than they were before, which should alleviate complaints about the restaurant being too noisy, Stockwell said.

For now, Fuzio’s menu has not changed. The restaurant offers fusion dishes that combine elements of different cuisines, such as Shanghai noodles with lemon grass and red curry or caramelized mushroom linguine with arugula and basil. Items on the menu range from $4.50 to $14.25.

Speedy service is another focus of the restaurant’s management.

“You can be in and out in less than a half hour, or you can take your time with a bottle of wine or one of our special martinis,said Fuzio owner Allen Beebe in a press release.

Fuzio Universal Bistro is owned by Calmex, Inc. There are 11 other Fuzio locations in California, one in Missouri and one in Nevada.

JEREMY OGUL can be reached at city@theaggie.org.