Women’s Soccer Preview

Teams: UC Davis vs. Sacramento State

Records: Aggies, 0-0; Hornets, 0-0

Where: Aggie Soccer Stadium

When: Sunday at 2 p.m.

Who to watch: Senior Marisa Boge is at the forefront of an Aggie attack that looks to post big numbers in 2009.

The Oakland native led UC Davis with four goals last season, three of which were game winners.

“Boge finds a way to make herself dangerous during the game,said coach MaryClaire Robinson.

Boge also contributed two assists, giving her a team-high 10 points.

Did you know: UC Davis thrived in non-conference play last season. The Aggies posted an impressive 5-2-2 record against non-Big West Conference opponents, including a narrow 1-0 win at Sacramento State on Sept. 12.

League play was a different story for the Aggies, as they could only muster a 2-5-1 record.

Preview: UC Davis will return a couple of very important starters from last year’s 7-7-3 team, most notably Boge and junior goalkeeper Sarah Peters.

Peters started all 17 games for the Aggies as a sophomore, posting a 1.12 goals against average while recording 57 saves and four shutouts.

On defense, UC Davis returns senior Britnee Warmerdam and junior Shawna Kelley, two of the top three defenders in terms of minutes played.

Playing complement to Boge on offense are seniors Rochelle VanBuskirk and Jordan Martin.

Overall, the Aggies only lose 17 percent of their 2008 scoring production. Robinson thinks the returning firepower will be a key to the upcoming season.

“We were in there every game [last year],said Robinson.We just have to light up that scoreboard. It’s something that we are capable of doing.

UC Davis only averaged one goal per game last season.

The Aggies look to start off the new season with a bang as they welcome the Hornets into Aggie Soccer Stadium.

UC Davis beat Sacramento State in the most recent women’s soccer edition of the Causeway Classic by a score of 1-0. Boge’s lone goal in the 63rd minute was all the Aggies needed to defeat the Hornets.

Sacramento State finished last season with a 9-8-2 overall record.