Preview: Women’s field hockey

Teams: UC Davis at Saint Francis; vs. La Salle; at Siena

Records: Aggies, 1-0; Red Flash, 0-2; Explorers, 0-2; Saints, 0-2

Where: De Gol Field, Loretto, Penn.; Siena Turf Field, Loudonville, N.Y.

When: Friday at 1 p.m., Saturday at noon, Monday at 1:30 p.m.

Who to watch: Freshman forward Marissa Hughes came through in a big way for the Aggies in their first game of the 2009 campaign on Monday.

The Vista, Calif. native scored the game-winning goal 6:08 into the overtime period off the stick of teammate Lindsey Valadez to give UC Davis the 3-2 victory over Missouri State.

Hughes tallied a total of seven shots and also added an assist.

Did you know?: The Aggieswin on Monday marked its first since UC Davis last had a field hockey program in 1982. The victory is also the first for the program as a Division I school.

Preview: The Aggies came out strong in the first UC Davis field hockey game in 27 years.

UC Davis, a team that did not have one player with D-I game experience prior to Monday, beat Missouri State by a score of 3-2 in sudden-death overtime.

The Aggies never trailed during the match and received goals from Hughes and freshmen Liz Siemion and Rachel Sabes.

UC Davis outshot Missouri State 20-13 while freshman Lauren Sawvelle had four saves for the Aggies in net.

“Everybody had to bring theirAgame,coach Vianney Campos said.We made the adjustments from the previous two scrimmages. It was a team effort and hopefully set the tone for the rest of the season.

Now the Aggies will go on their first big road trip of the season, playing six games in the Eastern Time zone.

UC Davis starts off with matches against Saint Francis and La Salle in round robin play in Loretto, Penn. The team then travels to Loudonville, N.Y. for a Labor Day rendezvous with Siena.

The east coast swing finishes with games against Harvard, New Hampshire and Vermont.

Max Rosenblum