CD Review: David Guetta

David Guetta

One Love

Virgin, EMI

Rating: 2

On David Guetta’s breakthrough effort to bring his Euro-club music to America, the French DJ’s fourth studio album One Love lacks one cohesive resonance.

On first listen, One Love seems to be a hip hop-techno mash up. Rather, it then ventures into something entirely differenta messy, unorganized album with no direction that is only appealing at first.

Don’t get me wrongI enjoy a good marriage between hip hop and club beats, but this has got to be one of the most ostentatious albums in music history. Name-dropping in every song, Guetta collaborates with Kelly Rowland, Kid Cudi, Akon, Estelle, Ne-Yo, Winter Gordan, Will.I.Am and even Chris Willis.

That, however, doesn’t do much for Guetta. There seems to be no point to this album. One Love, sounds like a series of tracks compiled by featured singers extending into an album that digs itself into a deeper hole of musical one hit wonders.

One Love offers no originality to the music world. The first trackWhen Love Takes Oversteals a riff from Coldplay’sClocks,and later Guetta brands his own name to the Black Eyed Peas‘ “I Gotta Feeling” (which he co-produced) by attempting to turn house music into a mainstream listen.

Though One Love has a few catchy songs, it doesn’t have enough hooks to entertain you throughout the entire 15 tracks. It’s unfortunate since Guetta is an extremely talented producerhe was just unable to produce a great album.

Repetitive and often redundant, every song is a potential club hit but Guetta fails to explore his talent in this album. With Just a Little More Love, Guetta established himself as a talented DJ with a lot more to offer in the studio than in the nightclubs, but rather than meeting or exceeding expectations, One Love fails to offer anything new or original.

Give these tracks a listen:One Love,” “GettinOver

For fans of: Girl Talk

Karen Song