200 volunteers to participate in mock emergency exercise

Those on campus this Tuesday and Wednesday need not be alarmed by the sound of explosions or gunshotsthis is only a test.

Operation Gallant Eagle,coordinated by the UC Davis Police and Fire departments will begin at 8 a.m. Wednesday; a briefing will occur Tuesday at 3 p.m in the Sciences Lecture Hall.

The exercise is intended to test response to a major violent incident on campus, and may include smoke, simulated gunfire and explosions. Over 200 volunteers from outside agencies will participate in the exercise, including students, faculty and staff.

What’s unique about this exercise is that its based off a realistic time scale,said Lieutenant Matthew Carmichael of the UC Davis Police Department.It will follow natural scale of flow should an event like this occur, based on history and similar events.

Most of the activity will occur from 8 a.m. until noon, but will end at 4 p.m.

Volunteers and staff will be briefed on Tuesday night in preparation for the next day’s activities. Then, volunteers will meet the following morning from 6:30 to 7:30 for make-up and other preparations.

Though the exercise is designed to appear realistic, safety officials will be present at all times and any area used for the exercise will be closed to the public.

“We’re testing the actual response to this kind of an emergency as opposed to just introducing certain events designed to keep play going,Catrmichael said.The exercise will test itself.

LAUREN STEUSSY can be reached at campus@theaggie.org.