Women’s Soccer Preview

Teams: UC Davis vs. St. Mary’s; at Long Beach State

Records: Aggies, 5-2-1 (0-0); Gaels, 6-5; 49ers, 4-6 (0-0)

Where: Aggie Soccer Stadium; George Allen Field – Long Beach, Calif.

When: Friday at 4 p.m.; Sunday at 1 p.m.

Who to watch: Senior forward Rochelle VanBuskirk led the Aggies to victory last Sunday afternoon against Nevada as she took three shots, two of which found the back of the net.

The Concord, Calif. native finished second in points for the Aggies in 2008, tallying three goals and an assist.

This year she leads the Big West Conference in goals with nine and is second in assists with four.

Did you know: UC Davismatch with St. Mary’s on Friday concludes the Aggiesnon-conference schedule. The Aggies faired well in non-league games as they scored 22 times to post a 5-2-1 record.

Preview: After beating Nevada last week, UC Davis hopes to continue its winning ways with a matchup against St. Mary’s at Aggie Soccer Stadium.

The game will conclude UC Davisnon-conference schedule as they build momentum for Big West Conference play.

The Aggies have faired pretty well at home this season so far, winning two out of their first four contests, and look to maintain the fire from their previous home victory against Nevada.

In last season’s matchup with the Gaels, the Aggies lost a hard fought battle 2-1 in overtime.

After the match, UC Davis will travel to Long Beach State to play its first of eight Big West games.

Sophomore midfielder Shawna Gordon leads the 49ers in points as she has two goals and four assists.

If the Aggies want to shutdown the 49ers come Sunday, they will need the continuing stellar play of goalie Sarah Peters.

The Petaluma, Calif. native has only allowed eight goals in as many games, including one shutout.

Peters has benefited from a much improved Aggie offense, as this year’s squad averages 2.75 goals per game compared to its one goal per match last season.

Grace Sprague