Shopaholics unite at MU today

Although the economy has taken a downturn, clubs at UC Davis are still donating money through charity events.

The Student Fashion Association, led by president and senior textiles and clothing major Ashley Carros, is putting on aFashion Paloozatoday at the Memorial Union Garrison Room from 3:30 to 5:30 p.m.

Clothing, accessories and even shoes will be available for the taking. The five-dollar pre-sale ticket allows you to choose up to three items and receive free food.

SFA is a club centralized around people who are interested in fashion and design and is in conjunction with the textiles and clothing department, but is open to all majors, Carros said.

Junior Rachel Aquino, treasurer of SFA, recollects her first year in the club.

“I actually started as a political science major and participated my freshman year in the annual Trashion Show that SFA has. “The Trashion Show is an event that includes a contest where the outfits must be sustainable, whether it’s trash or re-used items, she said in an e-mail interview.SFA is all about being sustainable and creative while having fun with fashion.

Every year, one lucky charity organization receives all the money from the events SFA plans; last year it was Nourish International, an organization comprised of students dedicated to eliminating global poverty.

“SFA usually has an event every month but our biggest event is the Annual Fashion Show. A lot of money goes to the charity and last year we had close to 800 people,Carros said.

However, SFA also helps out locally. Last March, the club sold ribbons for a dollar a piece to support the Yolo Crisis Nursery.

Aquino does most of the major event planning for the SFA.

“The profits [from the Palooza] will be going to a scholarship fund for textiles students who need some help with financial aid for a trip to New York,Aquino said.

In addition to the charity outreach, SFA has bi-monthly meetings to discuss upcoming events and plans. They also have smaller activities such as movie nights, when they watch fashion-centered movies like The Devil Wears Prada or Confessions of a Shopaholic.

For more information about the Palooza or SFA, contact Ashley Carros at acarros@ucdavis.edu or join the Facebook group,Student Fashion Association.

DINA MORCOS can be reached at features@theaggie.org.