ASUCD Senate Briefs

ASUCD Senate meetings are scheduled to begin Thursdays at 6:10 p.m. Times listed are according to the clock at the Oct. 1 meeting location, the Memorial Union’s Mee Room.

Meeting called to order at 6:11 p.m.

Joe Chatham, ASUCD president, absent

Chris Dietrich, ASUCD vice president, present

Joemar Clemente, ASUCD senator, present

Danny Garrett, ASUCD senator, present

Justin Gold, ASUCD senator, present

Erin Lebe, ASUCD senator, present

Kevin Massoudi, ASUCD senator, present

Justin Patrizio, ASUCD senator, present

Laura Pulido, ASUCD senator, present

Shawdee Rouhafza, ASUCD senator, present

Trevor Taylor, ASUCD senator, present

Mo Torres, ASUCD senator, present

Previn Witana, ASUCD president pro-tempore, present

Jack Zwald, ASUCD senator, present

Appointments and confirmations

The senate approved Anisha Chikarmane, Marcus Tang, Joanne Hsu, Jessica Jaswal, Kelly Riggle, Mona Navid and Garrett Toy to the Academic Affairs Commission, AAC.

Public Discussion

Davis City Council member Lamar Heystek reminded the senate that city council meetings are held every Tuesday at 6 p.m. at Davis City Hall and that anyone is welcome to attend. Heystek also announced that the city council has passed a policy granting a 25 percent discount on the use of city facilities for student group-organized events that benefit a charitable cause and are open to the public.

Priya Shukla, chair of the Environmental Policy and Planning Commission, EPPC, announced that EPPC is hiring and has three positions open.

Jasmine Smith, chair of the Ethnic and Cultural Affairs Commission, ECAC, announced that ECAC will be hiring two new commission members and two alternatives.

Sarah Raridon, chair of the Gender and Sexualities Commission, GASC, announced that meetings for GASC will only be held on Tuesdays.

Witana, Raridon, Jodhka Percoco of the External Affairs Commission and Jeff Williams of the Business and Finances Commission noted that their respective groups are hiring.

Pulido announced that CSI will be having an activities fair on Oct. 22.

Public Announcements

Amy Hartstein, Internal Affairs Commission Chair, announced that Internal Affairs Commission applications are open until Oct. 7 and the Parliamentary Procedure Workshop is on Wednesday at 2 p.m.

Court Announcements

Missy Whitney, Chief Justice of the ASUCD Court, noted that three positions on the court are open and that meetings are held Wednesdays at 8:10 p.m.

Ex-Officio reports

Jackie Limon, chair of AAC, stated that the last Lecture Series event will be Nov. 7 and the Davis Neighbors’ Night Out event will be Oct. 11.

Elected Officer Reports

Pulido announced that she had obtained a quote for a 25’x24′ blimp screen for Aggie Stadium for ASUCD announcements and revenue building, and is currently discussing linking the screen to the Cal Aggie Camp Philanthropy. The proposed bill for the $12,000 screen awaits discussion at the Oct. 8 senate meeting as urgent legislation.

Meeting adjourned at 8:11 p.m

ARNOLD LAU compiles the senate briefs. He can be reached at campus@theaggie.org.