Campus Judicial Report

Plagiarism

A sophomore was referred to Student Judicial Affairs (SJA) for plagiarism. The student’s paper contained material copied from multiple sources and little original work. The student claimed she had submitted the wrong copy of the paper to the professor by accident, but this claim seemed highly unlikely since copied portions of the paper were purposely altered. In any case, students at UC Davis are responsible for all work submitted, intentionally or not, as long as their names are on it. Due to the severity of copying, the student agreed to a sanction of 15 hours of community service, a plagiarism writing assignment with the Learning Skills Center and deferred separation until graduation. Deferred separation means that if a student is found in violation for an act of misconduct in the future, he or she would almost certainly be suspended or dismissed.

Providing false information

The Community Service Resource Center referred a student for providing false information to the university. The student failed to complete the community service hours he was assigned as a sanction for academic misconduct, but submitted false documents to the ICC stating that he had finished the required hours. Because this was not the student’s first violation of the rules, the student agreed to a sanction of deferred dismissal until graduation and a sanction payment of $300 in lieu of the uncompleted community service.

Copying on an exam

A professor referred a student to SJA after the TAs saw the student looking repeatedly at another student’s Scantron during an exam. The referred student admitted to the misconduct and explained personal difficulties for which she was going to CAPS for counseling. Consequently, the student agreed to disciplinary probation and 15 hours of community service.

The Campus Judicial Report is compiled by student members of the Campus Judicial Board. Additional information about SJA and the Campus Judicial Board may be found at sja.ucdavis.edu.