Campus news in brief

Run for ASUCD senate

Packets to run for senate are now available in the Student Government Administrative Office, in room 348 of the Memorial Union. The packets are due by Oct. 21.

To run for senate, students must be in good academic standing and not be on probation with Student Judicial affairs. Students must also receive 125 signatures on a petition included in the packet.

Senators vote on bills brought to the student government and serve as student representatives in the University.

“Look around you,” said Kevin Massoudi, ASUCD senator and junior political science and economics major. “If you see things on this campus that you think you can improve, and make this school a better place for your fellow and future UC Davis students, you’ve found your passion to run.”

Early flu virus provides some immunity to H1N1 virus

If you’re one of the lucky few that already got the flu this year, consider yourself lucky – or at least more immune.

Researchers at UC Davis recently found that a group of immunologically [cq] important sites on the H1N1 virus are also present in seasonal flu viruses.

This means the H1N1’s disease-causing ability is lower than previously believed.

“These findings indicate that human populations may have some level of existing immunity to the pandemic H1N1 influenza and may explain why the 2009 H1N1-related symptoms have been generally mild,” said Carol Cardona, a UCD veterinarian and cooperative extension specialist.

The discovery may also allow researchers to create a more efficient flu vaccination.

Source: insciences.org

Founding chancellor of UC Merced dies at age 66

Carol Tomlinson-Keasey, UC Merced’s first chancellor died Sunday from complications of breast cancer. She was 66.

“UC Merced would not exist were it not for her visionary leadership, her tireless determination and her remarkable gift of persuasion,” said current chancellor Steve Kang, who succeeded Tomlinson-Keasey in 2007.

Tomlinson-Keasey was a developmental psychologist and served as vice provost for academic initiatives in the UC Office of the President. In 1998 she took on the project of directing planning for what would be UC Merced.

Source: LA Times

UCD and Davis police departments hold homecoming food drive

Both UCDPD and DPD will be collecting food for the Yolo County Food Bank at Saturday’s homecoming football game.

Bins to bring non-perishable foods, such as canned foods or bags of chips, will be set up at all entrances to Aggie Stadium, starting at 5 p.m. There will also be a police car at the game for donators to drop their canned food into.

LAUREN STEUSSY can be reached at campus@theaggie.org.