Aggies rout Rams

It’s a good thing football games only last 60 minutes, or the Aggies would still be scoring.

UC Davis dismantled Winston-Salem State 45-14 Saturday night, dominating the Rams in every facet of the game.

“We got a lot of contributions tonight from a lot of people,” said coach Bob Biggs.

For the Aggies, seven different receivers caught a pass, six scored touchdowns and five defensive players came up with turnovers.

UC Davis didn’t waste any time getting their assault underway, jumping out to a quick 7-0 lead.

Receiver Chris Carter found the end zone on a seven-yard pass for his first touchdown of the season. The play came soon after a career-long 68-yard reception by Carter, who wasn’t ruled down by the officials after rolling over the defender.

“I reached back and caught the ball and I felt him grabbing me,” Carter said. “I landed on top of him and I was like, ‘I don’t think I went down,’ so I just kept running.”

The five-play, 83-yard drive set the tone for the evening.

Winston-Salem fumbled the ensuing kickoff, allowing the Aggies to increase their lead to 14-0 seven minutes into the game.

The Rams, who have struggled offensively all season, continued their woes Saturday against the Aggies and were unable to get out of their own territory in the first half. Winston-Salem fumbled three times in the first half alone, equaling the number of fumbles they had lost in the preceding five games combined.

“All year long we’ve been in the plus area in turnovers and we added to it tonight,” Biggs said. “That’s been our goal.”

The Aggies accomplished their goal, intercepting Rams’ quarterback Jarrett Dunston twice in the second half accounting for the five forced turnovers.

The first quarter play by the Aggies led to a 38-0 at halftime lead thanks to a 24-point second quarter.

A field goal at the beginning of the quarter was followed by three touchdowns, including a 34-yard fumble return by defensive end Eric Sobotka.

With Sobotka’s score, both the UC Davis offense and defense had scored a touchdown, leaving the special teams unit as the only part of the team without a TD.

The Aggies had to leave something for the second half.

After a Winston-Salem State unsportsmanlike conduct penalty following a 31-yard score, the Aggies received good field position on the kickoff. Kick returner Joe Gray received the kick and proceeded to take it 81 yards to pay dirt. The return earned Gray Great West Conference Special Teams Player of the Week honors.

While UC Davis’ dominating victory is something to get excited about, the Aggies are not so happy with the fact that they committed nine penalties for 85 yards.

“That’s one area we didn’t do too well in,” Biggs said. “We’re improving and still have a long way to go.”

The win was the ninth win in Aggie Stadium for UC Davis and the second consecutive homecoming game victory. Linebacker and co-captain Mike Morales said the team was grateful for the support of the 10,289 fans in attendance.

“I feel like the community and the students are starting to become more and more involved and we really appreciate it,” Morales said. “It really motivates us. We play for them and we appreciate them coming out. It’s a good turnout and it keeps getting better.”

The Aggies take the field again next Saturday against Portland State University in Portland, Ore.

RICHARD PROCTER can be reached at sports@theaggie.org.