ASUCD SENATE BRIEFS

ASUCD Senate meetings are scheduled to begin Thursdays at 6:10 p.m. Times listed are according to the clock at the Oct. 15 meeting location, the Memorial Union’s Mee Room.

Meeting called to order at 6:11 p.m.

Joe Chatham, ASUCD president, present

Chris Dietrich, ASUCD vice president, arrived late

Joemar Clemente, ASUCD senator, present

Danny Garrett, ASUCD senator, present

Justin Gold, ASUCD president pro-tempore, present

Erin Lebe, ASUCD senator, present

Kevin Massoudi, ASUCD senator, present

Justin Patrizio, ASUCD senator, present

Laura Pulido, ASUCD senator, present

Shawdee Rouhafza, ASUCD senator, present

Trevor Taylor, ASUCD senator, present

Mo Torres, ASUCD senator, present

Previn Witana, ASUCD senator, present

Jack Zwald, ASUCD senator, present

Appointments and confirmations

Gold was appointed as president pro-tempore for the meeting with a 6-5-0 vote.

Daniel Goodman was appointed as a member to the Elections Committee.

The senate approved four new members to the Business and Finance Commission (BFC).

Allyson Knight was appointed as a member of the Outreach Assembly.

Brian Nuss was appointed commissioner of the Ethnic and Cultural Affairs Commission, ECAC.

Sergio Cano, Subhan Cheema, Don Ho, Amy Martin, Max Mikalonis and Kevin Navarro were appointed commissioners to the Internal Affairs Commission, IAC.

Nareen Bagdasarian, Danny Carlson, Jess Lam, Darwin Moosavi and Jennifer Urrutia were appointed commissioners to the Environmental Policy and Planning Commission, EPPC.

Jennifer Casanova was appointed as a commissioner to the Gender and Sexuality Commission, GASC.

Don Gibson was appointed City and County Affairs Director.

Unit Director Reports

Will Klein of the Campus Center for the Environment, CCE, stated that they are having weekly meetings with all the environmental clubs, working on a plastic bag ban in the city and also that the John Muir Institute contacted them about getting compost bins set up around campus. There will also be a meeting on Wednesday teaching people how to fix their own bike tires to save money.

Public Announcements

Jeff Williams of the BFC announced that it is still hiring.

Priya Shukla of EPPC announced that the environmental showcase will be Monday at 7 p.m. as well as a CCE orientation event.

Torres announced that there will be a Safe Zone training session on Thursday and that Friday is the 20th annual “Davis is Burning” drag festival.

Jasmine Smith of the ECAC announced that it has extended its application deadline to next week.

Amy Hartstein of the IAC announced that its meetings are on Mondays at 5:10 p.m. in the Garrison Room, and that there will be a legislature-writing clinic on Monday, Nov. 16.

Sarah Raridon of GASC announced that Student Housing may be shutting down the Davis student co-ops, which would evict 13 people from the property.

Ex-Officio reports

Dana Percoco of the External Affairs Commission (EAC) announced that it is planning to distribute maps telling first-year students where they can use their Aggie Cash.

Consideration of Old Legislation

Senate Bill 5, authored and introduced by Witana, to update the duties of the Senate President Pro Tempore, passed unanimously.

Senate Bill 6, authored and introduced by Witana, to amend Section 502 B as to improve flexibility in forming an Interviewing Committee, passed unanimously.

Senate Resolution 3, authored by Dietrich and co-authored and introduced by Zwald, opposing the proposed fee increases and the related effects on the students of the University of California, passed unanimously.

Meeting adjourned at 9:07 p.m.

ARNOLD LAU compiles the senate briefs. He can be reached at campus@theaggie.org.