UC Davis comes up short in two good matches

After two tough results this weekend, the Aggies have put themselves in a difficult situation heading into the final three matches of the season.

UC Davis’ first contest was a shutout loss at the hands of Big West Conference leader Cal Poly on Thursday night.

On Sunday, UC Davis put up a fight against Pacific but came up short in a 2-1 loss.

Thursday – Cal Poly 1, UC Davis 0

The Aggies were just looking to play their brand of soccer heading into Spanos Stadium Thursday night.

Despite the close 1-0 loss, they still accomplished this according to coach MaryClaire Robinson.

“It was a great game, and very entertaining to watch,” Robinson said. “We didn’t win but it was one of the best games we’ve played. I was really pleased with the energy and the level of play. It was unfortunate that we didn’t get the win.”

UC Davis and Cal Poly each had chances early but the Mustangs were able to strike first.

In the 19th minute, forward Cici Kobinski scored from 12 yards out on the right side.

Kobinski’s score would prove to be the decider as UC Davis failed to find the back of the net.

“Both teams had chances,” Robinson said. “We just weren’t able to finish. It was one of the best conference outings we’ve had.”

Each goalie posted seven saves. UC Davis took seven shots on goal while Cal Poly took eight.

Sunday – Davis 1, Pacific 2

Following the close loss to Cal Poly, UC Davis returned to Aggie Soccer Stadium Sunday to play Pacific.

The Aggies played yet another good Big West team down to the wire, but were once again unable to come out with a positive result.

“This one stung a little bit,” Robinson said. “We were at home, we had some great chances, and we put a lot of heat on them in the second half. When you create chances, you have to be able to finish them.”

Forward Kristina Wavomba put the Tigers on the board early with a goal in the 13th minute of play, leading to a 1-0 halftime deficit.

Thirteen minutes into the second period of play, the Aggies responded with a goal of their own.

Defender Aisha Lott lofted a shot off a free kick to even up the game.

“She’s done that before,” Robinson said. “It’s certainly in her range.”

The game continued in a tie down to the 90th minute when Pacific’s Alex Topp netted the game-winner with 34 seconds left.

For the Aggies, Lott was a top performer and a player that the Aggies will need heading into the final games of the year.

“She’s had a great year,” Robinson said. “We’ve needed to move the ball into the middle of the field, and she’s done that with leadership and confidence. She sets the standard and she leads the team from the back.”

UC Davis will play its final home match of the season Friday against UC Santa Barbara in what will be Senior Day for four Aggie seniors.

GRACE SPRAGUE can be reached at sports@theaggie.org.