Campus Judicial Report

Disturbing Doodles

A student was referred to Student Judicial Affairs (SJA) after submitting a math homework assignment with inappropriate drawings of a violent nature scribbled on it. These drawings raised some alarm with the professor. An SJA officer met with the student and explained why the drawings were inappropriate and how they could be interpreted. The student did not receive any disciplinary sanctions but was informed about campus resources including Counseling and Psychological Services (CAPS).

Possession of a Controlled Substance

A student was referred to SJA by the UC Davis Police Department after she was arrested for possession of a controlled substance. UCD police officers noticed some suspicious activity outside one of the dormitories and found the referred student to be in possession of marijuana. The student agreed to disciplinary probation and a meeting with the director of ADAPT, the Alcohol and Drug Abuse Prevention and Treatment program.

Copying on an Exam

A professor referred a student for suspected copying on a quiz after finding partially wrong and unusually similar answers on two separate quizzes. The student initially denied any cheating during the test but later admitted to copying the work of another student. The student agreed to accept the disciplinary sanction of deferred separation, which means that if the student is referred to SJA in the future and is again found in violation, the student gives up his or her right to a formal hearing and will most likely be suspended or dismissed.

The Campus Judicial Report is compiled by student members of the Campus Judicial Board. Additional information about SJA and the Campus Judicial Board may be found at sja.ucdavis.edu.