Wednesday, July 24, 2024

Column: Erica Betnun

Happy hump day, my fellow Aggies! Now that we’re all settled into our classes and gearing up for midterms, I hope to give you some relief from your books (well, at least for the time it takes you to read this column). We’ll be delving into the sexual, relational and hopefully comical adventures of my life as a UC Davis senior (wow! When did that happen?). I never really imagined I would be writing a column – let alone a sex-related column for a newspaper that’s read by thousands of people everyday – but here I am, excited, and ready!

Let me tell you a little bit about myself. My name is Erica Lauren Betnun. I’m about five feet tall (on a good day). I have naturally curly hair, green eyes and I’m 21 years old. I was born and raised in the San Fernando Valley (like totally!). My birthday is on Christmas day, but I get Hanukkah presents. I love shopping, cuddling, and my friends and family. And, well, I’m down for a little lovin’ too, but who isn’t?

After being in my fair share of relationships, I’ve realized many things about myself and those who have blessed me with their existence. I’m the romantic type who’s a sucker for dinners by candlelight and, of course, walks on the beach. Parents like me-they even send me e-mails and invite me to dinner. I’m fun to be around, and will (try to) make you laugh. I like to try new things (positions included) and will be there if you need me. I’m not afraid to tell you how I feel, I don’t like getting hurt, and I like cute, random text messages.

My goal for the next eight or so months is to capture my life through words and give you, my dear readers, the chance to indulge in my escapades (and sexcapades) with people, places and things. From the best places to do “it” (I’ll need your help on this one!) to the occasional trip to Los Angeles where a special someone resides, I will not let you down. I’ll bring you a humorous outlet from what seems to be endless days of thinking, working, waiting, meetings, breathing, partying, eating, sleeping and, of course, doing it.

I won’t be able to write this column alone. I’d love your opinions about sex, relationships and everything related. What’s your favorite position? What’s your opinion on same-sex marriage? Do you think long distance relationships are worth the potential heartache?

As for me, I like to be face-to-face with the person, so anything you can think of where eye contact is being made is great. If you love someone you should be able to marry them, no matter what they look like, how old they are or what sex they are. Distance shouldn’t be a factor if you love the person, either.

Now, onto the juicy stuff: What do you think of when you hear the word “sex?” Is it some taboo act that only happens between two people who are magically in love and have committed to each other for the rest of their lives? Or is just something you like to do on a weekly (or daily) basis? Is it something you do to relieve stress? Burn those extra calories? While there are many reasons why people do it, it’s a natural part of being human (we’re animals, too!) and shouldn’t be frowned upon. Yes, it can be messy, sweaty, sometimes disgusting – potentially disastrous, if you’re drunk – but it’s what we do and we’re not going to stop. Just remember safety first and no means NO!

So my dear Aggies, this column is for you, the people of Davis; the people who get up every morning for 8 a.m. classes and ride their bikes through torrential downpours; the people who spend countless hours reading for classes. Most importantly, though, the people who just want to laugh every Wednesday.

ERICA BETNUN is happy it’s hump day-not because she’s humping, but because her weekend is one day away. If you’d like to enjoy hump day with her, send her an e-mail at elbetnun@ucdavis.edu.