Islands and more

Some of you may be wondering who Islands is. The answer is not a collection of sandy beaches to the west of California, but rather a highly popular underground band performing here in Davis.

Tomorrow, the ASUCD Entertainment Council will present Islands – along with Jemina Pearl and Toro y Moi – at the Odd Fellows Lodge, located at 415 Second Street in Downtown Davis. Doors will open at 7:30 p.m. and the show will start at 8 p.m.

So who are these mysterious bands? Well, they can be generically classified as pop and synthetic rock groups. Behind the multitude of genres that they cohesively and individually blend into, they are unique in their own ways.

Islands, formerly known as The Unicorns, will be the main event this year. They experiment by combining rock and pop.

They chose to be accompanied by Jemina Pearl and Toro y Moi. Pearl, who was featured on the TV show “Gossip Girl,” has a funky edge to her sound. Toro y Moi is a solo endeavor of The Heist and The Accomplice’s Chaz Bundick. Bundick has been on tour all over the country.

All these bands were booked by The Agency Group, who contacted the EC a few months ago to schedule this performance. It was a coincidence that the EC decided to book them, as the EC received many requests to bring the bands to campus.

The EC said they went beyond their usual parameters for the show. This event is so large that the whole EC has been diligently working on this event for the past month.

Tim Kerbavaz, the EC productions coordinator, described his workload as both challenging and exciting.

“We usually use the [ASUCD Coffee House] as the venue,” Kerbavaz said. “Now we have to import lighting and sound from other places because the venue doesn’t provide us with them.”

The Council is looking for volunteers to put on the event to make sure it operates smoothly. If anyone would like to participate in the show, visit the EC office located at the third floor of the Memorial Union.

“The [volunteer position] is exciting because you get to meet the bands and see what it’s like to put on a show and all the behind the scenes stuff,” said Tim Zamanigan, a current EC volunteer.

Phansopha said the change to an off-campus venue presented the EC with an unusual and unprecedented predicament, because the ticket office is not selling tickets to the show. Rather, tickets can be bought at the EC office or at the door for $5 with a student ID.

The council already sold roughly 150 tickets, and expects to sell the remainder at the show. For more information, visit the event’s Facebook event page or contact the EC office.

BRITTANY PEARLMAN can be reached at arts@theaggie.org.