Women’s Volleyball Preview

Teams: UC Davis at Cal State Northridge

Records: UC Davis (15-7, 6-2); Cal State Northridge (6-14, 2-5)

Where: The Matadome; Northridge, Calif.

When: Saturday at 7 p.m.

Who to watch: Senior Carson Lowden had a very strong weekend for UC Davis, as she lead her team to two big road wins against Cal Poly and UC Santa Barbara, extending the Aggies’ winning streak to three games.

Coach Jamie Holmes was very impressed with her senior setter.

“Carson Lowden was the MVP of the weekend,” Holmes said. “She was running all over the court, bettering the ball, getting her players swings. She thought the game through.”

The Yuba City, Calif. native recently moved into fourth place on the Aggies all-time career assists list as well as helping the Aggies move to second place in the Big West Conference.

Did you know? The Aggies’ three-game winning streak has helped the Aggies climb nine places to No. 92 in the national RPI. This is the highest the Aggies have been in their short Division I history.

Preview: The Aggies have been playing great volleyball as of late and are riding a three-game winning streak into this weekend against Cal State Northridge. Last weekend the Aggies had two dramatic five-set wins at Cal Poly and UC Santa Barbara.

While the Aggies are sitting in second place in the Big West Conference at 6-2, they know not to take their opponents lightly.

“Going into Northridge will not be an easy battle,” Holmes said. “We’ll have to play well, which means we’ll have to practice well. We still have to get better in some areas. The team is smart enough to know that they can’t just show up and expect a win.”

The Aggies need to keep pace with No. 23 UC Irvine who is currently in first place at 6-1. The Aggies are right in the mix at the top of the league and know that every weekend is going to be a battle to stay at the top.

“They know that every time they step onto the floor, it’s going to be a rough match, but it’s going to be a fun match,” Holmes said.

-Kyle Hyland