Walk-a-thon promotes affordable housing awareness

A tri-city walk-a-thon this weekend aims to inspire community members to raise awareness about affordable housing. Davis, Woodland and West Sacramento will participate this Saturday in the event hosted by Habitat for Humanity of Yolo County.

The Davis walk will be a 5 kilometer route beginning at the solar panels at Community Park at the corner of F and 14th Streets.

Another goal is to educate people of the urgency to eliminate substandard housing.

Pamphlets and information will be available, and people walking with Habitat t-shirts will draw attention to the cause.

The event will also raise funds for the future build in Woodland, where HFHYC has property in Heidrick Ranch. A family selection process will determine two families for a duplex unit.

HFHYC was established in 1993 as a branch of Habitat for Humanity International. It is funded entirely by local support and is also a volunteer organization. The organization has built homes in Davis and Woodland in the past. In this program, homeowners contribute time and labor into the construction of their Habitat home.

“We believe that if more people are aware that we exist in Yolo county as well as the fact that there is a need for housing for low income families in this County we will have succeeded in furthering our cause,” said Rebecca Restrepo, HFHYC executive director.

The Yolo County affiliate of Habitat for Humanity aims to provide people, especially working families, with stable home ownership. Low-income families in particular will be able to better provide for their children.

“Our walk is intended to allow Yolo County communities to be aware that Habitat for Humanity exists in Yolo County, needs their help and that all people doing the best that they can to provide for their families need a decent place to live,” Restrepo said.

Walkers will be treated to live entertainment and free food after the walk.

The scheduled entertainment consists of The Liquid Hotplates, an a cappella group of UC Davis students, and Lynette Kimura and the Bluestones. The music will take place from 11:15 a.m. to 1:30 p.m.

Steve’s Pizza Place, Black Bear Diner and Beach Hut Deli will contribute food, according to Mark Restrepo, Davis walk organizer.

Walk-a-thon participants should arrive by 10:30 a.m. on Saturday. The cost is $10 per walker and an additional $15 for a t-shirt. All proceeds will go to Habitat for Humanity of Yolo County, according to Amanda Caulder, HFHYC secretary.

For more information and registration, please visit habitatyolo.org or call Mark Restrepo at (916) 425-7994.

POOJA KUMAR can be reached at city@theaggie.org.