Women’s golf preview

Event: Las Vegas Collegiate Showdown

Where: Boulder Creek Golf Club – Boulder City, Nev.

When: Today through Wednesday; all day

Who to watch: Junior Chelsea Stelzmiller was the top finishing Aggie at last year’s Las Vegas Collegiate, tying for seventh place overall.

The Placerville, Calif. native tallied a final score of 7-under-209, aided by a 4-under-68 in the second round of play. UC Davis finished in a tie for 11th place with Colorado State.

Did you know? The UC Davis women’s golf team is ranked No. 32 in a list of top 50 schools by Golfweek.

UC Davis won’t be the only top-50 team competing in this week’s event, though, as 12 other nationally ranked squads are scheduled to tee up at the Boulder Creek Golf Club. That list includes No. 14 Florida, No. 19 Louisville and host No. 41 UNLV.

Preview: The Las Vegas Collegiate marks the first tournament action for UC Davis in over a month.

On Sept. 23, the Aggies finished second out of 13 teams at the Ron Moore Intercollegiate in Littleton, Colo.

Junior Alice Kim shot a final round 2-under-73 to finish second overall. Her performance helped UC Davis overtake Baylor on the final day to capture the second-place trophy at Highlands Ranch Golf Club.

This week, the Aggies will send senior Kimberly Johnson, juniors Kim and Stelzmiller, and freshmen Amy Simaton and Demi Runas to the links. The lineup looks a little different from when the Aggies competed last month, with Runas taking the place of fellow freshman Belen Hernandez.

While the Aggies are happy to be playing again, they realize they will need to bring their “A” game this week against some stiff competition.

“We are just excited to play,” said coach Anne Walker. “This will be the most difficult field we’ve played. This week will tell us where we stack up. I believe we’re a top-25 team, and this will allow us to see if we are.”

-Max Rosenblum